Configuring a Linksys
Router to Allow Remote Desktop To work
to connect to your home or office computer remotely, but
when you attempt to connect, it fails. Chances are
good that your router needs to be configured to allow the
remote desktop ports to communicate. To accomplish this task follow these steps:
- Sign into your Linksys administration page.
- Click on the Applications &
Gamming option. (You will be on the Port Range Forward
- In the first row type in an
application name as shown in the picture below, for this
example we typed in RDT (Remote DeskTop).
- In the second column we put a
start and an end port range of 3389.
- In the Protocol drop down menu
- Now type in the internal IP address of the
PC you want to control.
- Check the enable button to
activate this line.
Click on the Save Settings Button, and
connect to your PC!
*You may also have to check the Remote Desktop options in
your version of Windows to insure it is set properly to
allow this to work. Software firewalls may also have
to be configured to allow you to communicate to your PC.